Home Where You can find me on the webs The Threshold DesignWrite

Friday, April 15, 2011

Friday Follow Blog Hop-- Why WriterMason?







Our question for today is....
How did you come up with the name of your blog?
An interesting question, especially since my blog's name is not so interesting. At least, not to the naked eye.

I named my blog writermason because it is my name. A name that has a meaning that, unlike so many things that have changed in this space age century, has not changed.
 From Dictionary.com: 

ma-son

(noun) --a person whose trade is building with units of various natural or artificial mineral products, as stones, bricks, cinder blocks, or tiles, usually with the use of mortar or cement as a bonding agent.

Though it is my married name, 'Mason' perfectly describes me.

Growing up in a lumber company family, we knew how to build and then rebuild. People want a new porch, new deck, new pier, they buy lumber. Hurricanes and floods destroy and wash homes away, but people want to rebuild in their original neighborhood. It's home.

I can still call up the screech of the rotary saw, the clop of a falling 2x4 onto cement , the green pungent scent in the unraveled threads of sawdust. Mr.Joe would pick us up from school in a rattletrap pickup truck and take us to the 'store', where we got a beauty parlor coke from the machine and punched the lighted buttons on the ultra modern and efficient office phone. 

Then I went to LSU's School of Architecture, College of Design, and got my degree in Interior Design. I knew it all... or so I thought. 

I never imagined back then that design would be drafted digitally, much less in 3D on a portable laptop.Or that I would blog my time away-- writing and reading blogs from around the world.

So, as drafting and designing reinvented themselves digitally, so now is the publishing industry.

Now I type with a laptop instead of inking in vellum, and my digital drafts don't make me high the way fresh blue print fumes did. The t-squares and parallel bar and the nifty electric eraser that I went hungry for now gather dust in a basement closet; the ever evolving technology of laptops and smart phones now drain my bank account. And even those withdrawals are out of my hands. (Working for the day when that changes to deposits.) 

I build now with words, but they're so much more than just words.

They're emotion and drama and plot and characterization. They frame a story that I've snatched from my dreams and experiences and construct a version that makes sense, so that the reader enters and dwells inside the walls of my imagination. The exits seal off to keep away reality and sleep, and the heroes and heroines are all smart people who make stupid choices for the right reasons, all ending up in a happy ever after. 

I'm WriterMason. Welcome to my World.

















 

 

 

 

 

16 comments:

  1. This is the best, "Where did your blog name come from?", post I've read today. Beautiful. Looking forward to following your work. ~Nadja

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your description is really lovely! Yes, you are a wordsmith. Next week, I'll try to do mine earlier.

    The link at the end of the blog list wasn't working for me, but here's the link for this week's of mine:
    http://fateandfaith-julee.blogspot.com/2011/04/follow-friday-whats-in-name.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Nadja, yours was the best post this week. Your prose is spellbinding. Have a great weekend and Happy Writing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the story of how your blog's name came to be. Thank you for stopping by and commenting today. And thanks for the wonderful compliments on the new design.

    Hope you have a wonderful weekend!

    Gabrielle

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for hopping by my blog. I love how you chose your name. Your comparisons of then and now mean so much to all of us who share this trade. Have a great weekend!
    Julius

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the story behind your name, Pamela. How cool!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Pamela!
    What a wonderful post, with a little history and background to boot! You really do write beautifully, by the way. Oh, and thanks for visiting my blog and leaving a comment (and thanks for noting that suzyturner is a good name as it helps to create online presence!!)
    Have a lovely weekend.
    Best wishes
    Suzy Turner

    ReplyDelete
  8. Julee, HA! Wonder if any Smiths out there named their blog... yeah, I'm sure there's a few hundred. Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Suzy,
    Yes, check out Kristen Lamb's blog. It cost me a few $ to figure out what you did instinctively, naming your blog. But she puts reasons behind the statement that you may not know yet. Highly recommend.
    Hope to see you again soon!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Really Gabrielle...I covet your name. The signature & design are all a dream for this romance lover. Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you for the lovely compliment Victoria.

    Julius, Thanks and hope you stop by again.

    *waving at Lizzie's & robsad79* Hey ya'll! Thanks for being here!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great blog Pamela. Thanks for connecting with me at Good Reads.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Glad you stopped by kristi... see you at goodreads too!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for following!